[linux-lvm] Restoring LVM configuration

Dave Wysochanski dwysocha at redhat.com
Mon Feb 26 14:43:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 13:24 -0500, Reid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Through a number of steps in an attempt to upgrade my server I ended up losing the
> lvm.conf configuration file and my backup of it.
>
> Part of the problem occured when I moved the disks from one controller to another on my
> server.  For some reason the partition information was lost.  This was recovered without
> too many troubles leaving me with a boot (ext2) and lvm2 partitions on one drive and a
> lvm2 partition on the other.
>
> I noticed on the LVM how-to that you might be able to recreate the configuration using
> pvcreate after looking at /etc/lvm/archive/VolumeGroupName_XXXXX.vg but I am unable to in
> this case because the root file system was part of the LVM itself.  (If I could mount it
> to find out the configuration then I wouldn't be having such a problem!)
>
> Ideally I would like to be able to create a configuration using Knoppix so that I could
> mount the drives and write it onto them.
>
> The next best thing for me would be to find some way to get the files off of the drives
> and onto a spare drive (basically recreate my backup) without losing file names/directory
> structure.

Are you still in need of help?

If so, do you know the details of your original setup that created the
LVM2 configuration (kernel version, lvm version, etc)?

I am working on a LVM command/enhancement that will read the LVM
information off the drives and allow recreation of the lvm
configuration.

Let me see if I can get something together for you to try recovery in
your situation.