[linux-lvm] lvextend problem

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Tue Feb 27 21:01:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:55:00PM +0100, Guilio Iannazzo wrote:
>Hi,
>about the *environment* :
>[root at priscilla var]# cat /proc/version
>Linux version 2.4.21-20.ELsmp (bhcompile at tweety.build.redhat.com) (gcc
>version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)) #1 SMP Wed Aug 18
>20:46:40 EDT 2004
>
>The *problem* :
>I extended a logical volume following the procedure
>
>umount -l /dev/Volume00/var

from umount man page:
       -l     Lazy unmount. Detach the filesystem from the filesystem  hierar-
              chy now, and cleanup all references to the filesystem as soon as
              it is not busy anymore.  (Requires kernel 2.4.11 or later.)

the key phrase here is: "as soon as it is not busy anymore"

>lvextend -L+5G /dev/Volume00/var
harmless

>e2fsck -f /dev/Volume00/var
so you fscked an active filesystem, bad bad bad...

--- i think you wanted to resize2fs here ---
>mount -l /dev/Volume00/var
'mount -l' is _not_ the opposite of 'umount -l'

>Now, once the filesystem mounted, I've lost all the data I had on /var
>(which I didn't back up, I know I know it's extremely stupid, luckily
>enough this is not a production machine).
>For example
>
>[root at priscilla var]# ll /var/
>total 0
>
>however
>
>[root at priscilla var]# mkdir /var/log
>mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/log': File exists
>
>??
>What happened ? How to get all the data back ?
is the filesystem really mounted now?

- reboot the machine into single user
- fsck the filesystem again
- and try mounting it and check all data is still here.
if it is:
- backup your data
- umount the filesystem (really, not using -l)
- fsck -f
- resize2fs
- mount again
- return to multi-user