[linux-lvm] Persistent minor number problem in lvm2

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Jan 5 07:01:46 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2007 21:37 schrieb Mark H. Wood:
> Mount by LABEL= or UUID=?
>
> Device node numbers are good for physical things like serial lines,
> but not so good for logical things like storage volumes.  If you can
> label it, do, and always identify it by your label.

I doubt that this would solve the problem since in the scenario I had, the
client already had mounted a directory from a server. Then on the server the
minor ids of exported NFS volumes changed and then the client did see
the "wrong" contents in the "right" NFS share mounted from the server. The
problem is that NFS relies on major, minor numbers in its protocol, I think.
So UUIDs could only help  in an initial mount but not later.

Have a nice day
Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke at uni-koblenz.de, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html