[linux-lvm] RE: [dm-devel] [RFC] Multiple Snapshots - Manageability problem

Wilson, Christopher J chris.j.wilson at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Jan 12 22:08:26 UTC 2007

I'm aware we're discussing file system cow snapshots here, 3PAR was just
a reference around the virtual pool concept.

Using one pool per origin helps and I do see the upside to that and I
don't discount it altogether.  A global pool shared across all devices
could be playing with fire.

My concern with the single pool is we're now starting to crossover into
the deduplication space, or what looks like the beginning of it.  The
issue with having all pointers looking at a central pool of storage goes
back to the garbage collection process.  This is an io bound unit of
work and if you think you've got performance issues now try and read
from a snap while garbage collection is going on.  Writes to it would be
equally as painful.  As I said, we use the dedup technology which uses a
single pool (not 3PAR, they're virtual primary disk and a damn good one)
and between backups and garbage collect and other block checking the
system is at its knees.

I would argue that sharing a cow pool doesn't make your snapshots
independent, it makes them dependant.  As with the dedup technology you
have to track which blocks are shared across all your cow snaps.  This
means that you can't garbage collect a shared block until the last cow
is expired.  You have a strong possibility that you'll have
defragmentation problems and your cow store may continue to grow, or at
least shrink begrudgingly and with lots of human intervention.

I think it goes back to why do this?  If people are keeping a weeks
worth of snaps then I think they need to look at their data protection
strategy and build a better mousetrap at that level.  As I said on the
other thread, I'd be uncomfortable with 7 day old cow snap if something
happened that was bad enough that I had to recover from them.  A 7 day
old block-by-block copy is much safer.  With the size of disk and
current rate of cost per GB (and falling) a cow strategy that did some
lazy migration to a clone based on time may be more useful.

-Chris