[linux-lvm] extending raw partition and logical partition

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Jul 20 00:16:14 UTC 2007

I have 3 disk physical partitions:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

VolGroup02 uses physical volume /dev/sda2.
I needed some more space on my logical partition
/dev/VolGroup02/LogVol00 (only LV in Group) so I went ahead and deleted
/dev/sda3 which left a bunch of free space.  So then I went into fdisk
and removed /dev/sda2 and recreated it with the same starting cyl and
made the new end cyl the same as the old /dev/sda3 so I should have all
the space in both the old partitions.  Rebooted, checked fdisk -l and
sure enough it had all the space.  But now when I do a vgdisplay I still
don't see any FREE PE.  It shows exactly the same as before I expanded
the physical partition.  So how can I expand the LV if there is no FREE PE?