[linux-lvm] /dev/root not found when booting with initrd and lvm2 root

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Wed Jun 20 12:07:20 UTC 2007

After several lvm2 operations (pvmove, vgextend, vgsplit, etc) my system
suddenly refused to boot. The error I was getting was: "/dev/root no
such file or directory". When inspecting /dev/root it looked fine. I did
update the initrd before rebooting (just in case).

The strange thing is that when I pass "root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root" to
lilo, all works fine. That is the same value root is set to in
lilo.conf. Setting append="root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root" works, but just
defining root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root in lilo.conf does not.

Is it be possible that messing with vg00 would have changed the block
device for vg00-root?

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg