[linux-lvm] partition table needed for lvm ?

paddy at panici.net paddy at panici.net
Fri Mar 2 11:04:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 11:19:07PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 05:14:25PM -0500, Chris Hunter wrote:
> > Do I reallly need to make partition tables on all my disks to use lvm2 ?
>
> Other packages such as the installer like to have them.

surely this is more to do with booting than anything else ?

It certainly used to be the case that the recommended and intended
primary use of LVM was using whole physical volumes (ie: a entire
hard disk, say /dev/hde rather than /dev/hde1) as PVs (hence the name!)

note that using disks in this way is not the same as not having
partitions on your *boot* volume.

is redhat really so broken ? surely not!

Regards,
Paddy