[linux-lvm] failing hard drive

Tim Milstead tim at arabidopsis.info
Thu Mar 22 15:36:46 UTC 2007

I am a complete noob to lvm.
I have 9 partitions on 9 (190GB) disks, one of which (according to smart
tools) is failing - hde.
It is running Fedora Core 4 (don't ask)
I want to swap out the drive with a new one (400GB).
pvmove /dev/hde does not work even though the file system in not full.
It says there are no free extents (or something like that - I don't want
to needlessly turn the machine back on since hde is getting worse) I
guess this is because the underlying stuff is full up.
It would be nice if I could just dd the failing drive onto the new drive
and replace it (using linux on a cd) but I have no reason to believe
this will work - will it?
Has anyone got a step by step guide of what to do? I guess I must shrink
the filesystem and then whatever that sits on.
This seems to depend on the version of LVM one is running. I have no
idea what version comes with Fedora Core 4 or how to find out.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Tim.