[linux-lvm] How to re-stripe a LV after pvmove?

Olle Liljenzin olle.liljenzin at jeppesen.com
Thu Mar 29 14:05:54 UTC 2007

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 01:42:47PM +0200, Olle Liljenzin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I rearrange a striped volume after pvmove has been run, so that
>> I get back the original structure with the stripes equally distributed
>> on PVs?
>>

> I need to presume, that IO to the striped LV was going on during pvmove.
> Hence restoring the old mapping won't help and will lead to data corruption.
>
> pvmove back using the destination options of the command.

Maybe an example is helpful. After the commands below I have two stripes
on sdb2 and one on sdb3. How do I move one of the stripes from sdb2 to sdb4?

pvcreate /dev/sdb{1,2,3}
vgcreate vg /dev/sdb{1,2,3}
lvcreate -i 3 -L100M -n lv /dev/vg
vgreduce /dev/vg /dev/sdb1
pvremove /dev/sdb1
pvcreate /dev/sdb4
vgextend /dev/vg /dev/sdb4
lvdisplay -m /dev/vg/lv

--- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg/lv
  VG Name                vg
  LV UUID                NVBrvT-5fZe-0qKA-LCYA-Z9au-X84A-fXYkx3
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                108.00 MB