[linux-lvm] To fdisk or not to fdisk, that is my question

Gordon gb-mail at sbgnet.com
Thu Mar 29 19:37:20 UTC 2007

I had a 4TB array on a 32bit system and the kernel could not deal with
such a large partition so I did not use fdisk

Now I have a 64bit system with basically the same setup (migrating) and
wonder what is the best practice for fdisk in this situation?

Do I fdisk one large partition  or do I just pvcreate and lvcreate on
naked drives?
Aside for the oops factor of someone else thinking I forgot to partition
4TB of space in fdisk and destroying my lvm partitions.  What are the
pluses and minuses of fdisk and LVM?

Thanks,
Gordon