[linux-lvm] f*cked up metadata on 1of3 LVM-disks

Jayson Vantuyl jvantuyl at engineyard.com
Mon May 21 16:27:33 UTC 2007

BigMac,

Okay, I think I have a solution, but it's your data, so beware.

First force the VG to activated.  To do this, use the -P flag
(partial).  It will activate as much of the VG as it can find.  So,
first:

vgscan -P
vgchange -ay -P vgdata

Then, get a backup of the metadata:

vgcfgbackup -f vgdata.lvm -P vgdata

Now, recreate the PV metadata on the damaged disk, just to get the
UUID back:

pvcreate -ff -u 9kpWwu-LdwT-YiqV-DRPg-kSAN-plYN-v1Eq81 /dev/hdc

Now you should have the pv there but with inconsistent metadata.
Now, restore the metadata from the backup we just made:

vgcfgrestore -f vgdata.lvm vgdata

If the planets are aligned and you are very lucky, you might have
your LV back.  Good luck, and I'm curious if this will actually work.

Jayson Vantuyl
Systems Architect
Engine Yard
jvantuyl at engineyard.com