[linux-lvm] Beginner Questions

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Mon Nov 12 22:00:50 UTC 2007

Thank you for the response. The first is insignificant, but there is ½ a terabyte missing on the second which is listed as 8192 EB? It should be ~500 GB free?

Thanks!
jlc

From: linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of pham_cuong at emc.com
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 2:56 PM
To: linux-lvm at redhat.com
Subject: RE: [linux-lvm] Beginner Questions

When you format, unless you specify the block size, the default block size is used.
The default block size is defined based on the size of the logical disk (partition) size that you've created.
Any disk space left over from the format is listed as unusable (for the block size that's being used) can not be used because it's not a multiple of the block size used to format that logical drive/partition.

The only way that you can make use of the remaining very small disk space is to use the smaller block size when formatting.   However, unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's not advisable for you to do so since this will more likely impact the performance of your logical drive/partition.  A lot of testing were done to determine the optimal block size based on the size of the logical drive/partition that you've created.

Except for academic reason(s), you should not be concerned with such a small left over.

Regards,