[linux-lvm] beginner questions

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Nov 14 16:20:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, David Hansel wrote:

> May i know how stable LVM in AIX 5.3?

This is the linux LVM group, but I can assure you that LVM in AIX 4.3
is *very* stable.  You'll have to ask in an AIX group, but I suspect that
it is still very good.  As far as I'm concerned, AIX LVM is the one to
beat for open source LVM.

> I wanna try to make a snapshot of LV to make a backup. Is the
> snapshot, mirroring features doing fine in AIX?

AIX 4.3 LVM didn't support snapshot, but mirroring (and striping) worked great,
(and are still working great).

Linux LVM got snapshots before mirroring/striping.  This was sensible because
mirroring/striping is available via the linux 'md' driver - albeit somewhat
kludgy compared to LE based LVM support.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>