[linux-lvm] Renaming Loopback 'Mounted' Volume Group

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Fri Nov 23 21:35:12 UTC 2007

Please take a look at this old thread first ...

This was back in February and I'm just now trying to get back into
recovery mode.  I've mounted the image like so:

/sbin/losetup /dev/loop0 ./recover.img
/sbin/kpartx -lv /dev/loop0
/sbin/kpartx -av /dev/loop0

This gives me /dev/mapper/loop0p1, and /dev/mapper/loop0p2 which seem to
  be my original boot drive and VolGroup00.  When I do an lvscan I get:

WARNING: Duplicate VG name VolGroup00: Existing
Vmi02d-0hr7-7NVb-vYZi-1fbD-E9n5-ixWu0a (created here) takes precedence
over D7avZX-pVCb-ibTN-tyvs-7Q62-rzR9-tquBi9

Presumably the latter is the UUID of the volume group on my disk image.

Is there a way that I can now rename this original volume group so it
doesn't conflict with my currently mounted one so I can start the data
recovery process?  I tried vgrename, which I thought could use UUID's as
input, but that didn't work.  Any ideas?

FC6
lvm2-2.02.17-1.fc6

Thanks - Tod