[linux-lvm] pvmove obliterates filesystem (Opensuse 10.2, x86-64)

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Wed Oct 17 22:11:38 UTC 2007

 > [snip pvmove problems]

This is why, imo, why lvm on linux needs to virtualize PE in lVm... a LV
only maps to LE (logical extents) that can themselves be mapped to one
or more PEs. Then you can pvmove by adding maps and removing old maps
after verifying that the new mapping is ok.

This is basically how LVM is implemented in AIX. Is this a too big NIH
problem for LVM on Linux? I am amazed that LVM on Linux doesn't steal
more ideas from LVM on AIX, as that is without doubt the best LVM
implementation you have out there. Big words, yes... if anyone can argue
why I am wrong I am happy to hear why :) (and gladly accept defeat if
that is required)

//Morten