[linux-lvm] lvreduce

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Oct 23 00:36:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Humble Chirammal wrote:

>   One of the customer ran  "lvreduce" command without reducing the
> filesystem (resize2fs ).  After the system was rebooted got this error.
>
> <<snip>>
>
> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 19922944 blocks
> The physical size of the device is 13369344 blocks
> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
>  <<snip>>
>
> Is there any way for data recovery???

Stop them from doing anymore LVM operations until recovery.
If nothing else has been done, undo the lvreduce with vgrestore.
LVM keeps backup versions of the metadata (/etc/lvm/archive on my
system).  I'll let the experts provide the exact syntax.  I haven't
had to do it yet :-)
If they have used the freed extents (lvextend or lvcreate or ...),
then they are hosed.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>