[linux-lvm] LVM snapshot limits

Shaun Kruger skruger at backcountry.com
Thu Oct 25 20:47:29 UTC 2007

I'm trying to create 45 LVM snapshots on one of my dev machines.  I have about
7TB of disk to work with, but I keep having wierd issues.  I can't seem to
make more than 30 snapshots.  At about 15-20 snapshots they stop being
created reliably and as I get to 30 snapshots I stop getting snapshots and
start getting COW table sized logical volumes that are in no way snapshots.
Some of these snapshots cause kernel panics on RHEL 5 when I try to remove
them.

If anyone wants to take a look, I have included a script that reproduces the
issue.  It works on both RHEL 5 and Ubuntu 7.04.  The script only requires a
few gigabytes of storage, so I don't think the problem has to do with my
large volume of storage.

I filed a support ticket with redhat, but I figured I'd float it here to see
if anyone has any suggestions/experience.

Shaun Kruger