[linux-lvm] how much memory does LVM need? oom-killer comes

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Sep 2 09:54:54 UTC 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
>> I just did vgchange -an, and there came the oom-killer. This is all
>> with 2.6.22.5 kernel.
>>
>> The machine has 256 MB RAM; PV is almost 1.5 TB big:
>>
>> # pvs
>>   PV         VG          Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
>>   /dev/md0   superthecus lvm2 a-   1.46T 120.63G
>>
>> After I do "vgchange -ay", the memory usage goes from ~17 MB to almost
>> 180 MB - is it normal?
>
> Can the memory usage be so high (~180 MB out of 256 MB) because I have
> two pretty big snapshots? Normally, this machine uses about 17 MB.
>

> # lvs
>   LV                  VG          Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log
> Copy%
>   backup              superthecus owi-ao   1.20T
>   backup-snap         superthecus swi-a- 100.00G backup  30.15
>   backup-snap-resized superthecus swi-a-  30.00G backup  69.00
>   backup1             superthecus -wi-a-   3.00G
>   backup1-sync-test   superthecus -wi-a-   3.00G
>   src                 superthecus -wi-a-   2.00G
>   swap                superthecus -wi-ao   3.00G
>

> Unfortunately, I can't remove these snapshots, as oom-killer comes :(
> Is there any solution to that, other than adding memory (which can be
> hard to do remotely)?

Ouch - now it went so far that the machine only loops from a kernel
panic to a kernel panic - that's really bad:

(...)
Out of memory: kill process 2220 (getty) score 24 or a child
Killed process 2220 (getty)
Kernel panic - not syncing: Out of memory and no killable processes...

Rebooting in 20 seconds..

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org