[linux-lvm] Q: Online resizing ext3 FS

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Sep 13 13:07:52 UTC 2007

Goswin von Brederlow schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> writes:

(...)

>> Yes, I tried to online resize a similar filesystem (600 MB to 1.2 TB)
>> and it didn't work.
>>
>> At some point, resize2fs would just exit with errors.
>> I tried to do it several times before I figured out what's missing;
>> sometimes, I interrupted the process with ctrl+c. No data loss
>> occurred.
>>
>> To do an online ext3 resize, the filesystem needs a "resize_inode"
>> feature. You can check the features with dumpe2fs:
>
> So was that what you were missing or did some other error occur?
>
> I tried to resize an fs without resize_inode and it just plain told me
> and abrted.

It was working for some time (15 or 30 minutes?), the fs grew a couple
of gigabytes, and then it exited with an error. At first I thought it's
because the fs might need fsck, but after I did fsck, it didn't help -
next online tries didn't increase the fs anymore.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org