[linux-lvm] LVM mirroring questions...

Jess Bromley j.bromley at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 11:14:58 UTC 2008

Thanks Karl and Marcin, I hadn't realised software RAID worked on a
per partition basis.  I'm looking into it now.

If mirroring on LVM is stable though, it might still be preferrable as
then I only have to use one set of tools instead of two --- can anyone
comment on how stable they've found mirroring under LVM.

Also does the fact that software RAID doesn't use a disk log mean that
LVM is actually better/faster than RAID at correctly recovering from
crashes that leave the mirrored disks out of sync?

>  The amount of log data is small - on my test setup for creating 1GB mirrored
>  LV log fit into single 16MB PE - don't know how much of it was left freee
>  though.

Were you able to specify which PV the log was created on?

Thanks,
Jess