[linux-lvm] LVM snapshot - "dd" file size

Denie Andriessen denie at bokxing.nl
Wed Apr 16 21:36:49 UTC 2008

A compressed dd can still be quite large, as there still might contain non
zero values..

if you compress the image, a possible way to make the resulting files
smaller is to:

- do a: 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dummyfile' on the filesystem first (you might
want to use 'bs' and 'count' parameters)
- if you topped off the disk, delete the all zero dummyfile.

The zipped result might be smaller. (both with dd and with tar..)

Regards,
Denie