[linux-lvm] Offline fsck (checking snapshots)

Sun Apr 27 19:48:28 UTC 2008

On 4/26/2008, Bryan Kadzban (bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net) wrote:
>>> I've gotten a script that I think is reasonable, that handles
>>> this. With some help from others, it now works with XFS as well
>>> as ext2/3, and it's supposed to also work with JFS. Since it
>>> requires LVM, I think it might make sense to put something like
>>> it into the LVM userspace tools.

>> Sounds interesting... but any particular reason you're ignoring
>> reiserfs?

> No particular reason, no. I just haven't used it in maybe 6 years, so
> I don't remember much about it. I also assume that nobody listening
> to the discussion on ext3-users uses it either (based on the fact
> that nobody else asked for it). So it didn't get added. :-)

Heh - no worries, I wasn't complaining, just asking... I do use it for
my /var (maildirs), which is why I was asking...

I know, I've heard all of the horror stories... but my RAID card has a
BBU on it, and my servers all have good UPS's on them , and are running
nut sp will safely shut down in the event of a prolonged power failure
(which has only happened once).

Mine has been rock-solid for almost 4 years now.

> I assume fsck.reiserfs is the right executable to use? (I seem to
> remember a reiserfsck, but not whether they were equivalent...) What
> args should be used to get it to check the snapshot FS, preferably
> making as few changes as possible? (E.g., ext3 requires a pre-check
> check to clean up orphan inodes, otherwise the real check will exit
> with a failure status; does reiserfs require anything similar?)

Ouch... I wish I could help, I'd be happy to, but I'm just a lowly sys
admin pretender, not a programmer... ;)

Right now, I'm just trying to find the time to get an automated backup
script running to pause some services (postfix+dovecot), take a snapshot
of my /var, restart the services, run rsnapshot on the snapshot volume,
then release the snapshot volume...

Right now I'm running my backups on the live filesystem, which, since
this system isn't used all that heavily, especially at night, isn't
doesn't worry me *too* much, I'd still prefer to 'do it right'... hence
my interest in your script...

--

Best regards,

Charles