[linux-lvm] Offline fsck (checking snapshots)

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 27 23:48:10 UTC 2008

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>   < SNIP >
>
> Some of the horror stories that I've heard are exactly the case that
> you're protecting against with your batteries: Supposedly a sudden
> removal of power causes some grief with certain journaling methods,
> including the method that reiserfs uses.  (Or used to use; maybe it's
> changed since then.)

  < SNIP >

I think things have changed since then.  I have had to on a couple
occasions unplug my rig or use the halt command and not have a clean
shutdown.  It fixes the errors when I reboot, if any.  I have read where
others have done the same with no losses.

I have tried XFS and others and had trouble in these areas before.  That
is one reason I use reiserfs and it came highly recommended because it
can recover so well.

On XFS, if you have a UPS and can always have a clean shutdown, very
cool.  It seriously hates unclean shutdowns.

Dale

:-)  :-)