[linux-lvm] How to move /usr from LVM back to non-LVM?

Karl Wagner kwagner at zetex.com
Tue Apr 29 09:17:09 UTC 2008

At work, I'm stuck with the static partitions on the current servers, till I do a rebuild on new hardware at least ;)

My own home server uses 4xHDD with the same partition layout.
sdX1: MD RAID1, 1GB /boot
sdX2: MD RAID10, 5GB /
sdX3: MD RAID10, 20GB LVM for;
		/usr
		/var
sdX5: 50GB LVM for;
		/tmp (striped)
		Some exported AoE and iSCSI volumes
sdX6: rest of disk, MD RAID5, dm-crypt and LVM for data (including /home)

I know it's convoluted, but it works. I wish I had done dm-crypt on top of the LV's now rather than LVM on dm-crypt. It is not too slow, but I don't need encryption for everything on there and I can't do anything about it now (Think save up to replce them all with 1TB drives, now only £100 on Ebuyer :D )