[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed Apr 30 17:23:40 UTC 2008

Larry,
  There was only maybe ten minutes between the time the backup finished
and the hang.  The system was very quiet at the time.  The backups run
overnight when there is almost no system activity.  I had only recently
begun using snapshots and I was surprised to see a machine get into this
state while running a backup w/snapshot.  I use a 256M ramdisk as the
snapshot vol.  Prior to introducing snapshots this machine had run
without any problems during backups.  I could not tell what exactly
caused the hang.  There was no indication that the snapshot had run out
of space and I doubt that it did.  The issue for me is that no matter
what happened to cause a hang that LVM should never get into a state
where it cannot start the system.  The backup had completed backing up
the root filesystem (which was last) when the hang occurred.  What that
did was to leave the volume that contained the root filesystem in an
inconsistent state at reboot since the snapshot logvol was not removed.
LVM should have recognized that the inconsistency was due to a snapshot
logvol and corrected the problem at boot and brought up the VolGroup
sans snapshot device since it's worthless at that point anyway.  My
concern is that there is a bug somewhere in the snapshot mechanism.
I've seen other people report what they said were corruption problems
resulting from snapshots.

Regards,
Gerry