[linux-lvm] metadata too large for circular buffer - any way to increase PV metadatasize?

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 17:45:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 20:41 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> To remove the metadata areas you need to:
>
>    get an up-to-date metadata backup (vgcfgbackup)
>
>   pvcreate --restorefile pointing at a copy of that backup file requesting 0 metadata areas
> and specifying the same uuid as it had before
>
>   vgcfgrestore from the backup file

This doesn't look like something you can do with the volume group active
(with cluster lvm anyway):

[root at testnode0 ~]# pvcreate --restorefile san-metadata -u fTLglk-j1C1-02Z7-8k6l-DTAm-2WNj-9ZGT19 --metadatacopies 0 /dev/hdb -ff
Really INITIALIZE physical volume "/dev/hdb" of volume group "san" [y/n]? y
  Can't open /dev/hdb exclusively.  Mounted filesystem?

Is that right, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

John.