[linux-lvm] shift PV from disk to raid device?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Dec 9 16:54:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > If possible I would like to avoid wiping the complete PV, recreating all of
> > it and copying all the content of the logical volumes back to it.
> > Is there a way to "shift" the PV from /dev/sda to /dev/md2 and leave
> > everything else intact? Maybe after breaking the array?
>
> man pvmove

That is not very helpful.

His problem is that sda is one of the mirror of md2.  And he
accidentally make sda the PV instead of md2.  So pvmove is only part of
solution.

Here are the steps that I see:

1) remove sda from md2 array
2) use dd or pvremove to clear PV info in md2.  This should not
   affect sda since sda is removed from md2
3) pvcreate md2 as a new PV and add to volume group
4) pvmove sda -> md2.  The data should physically go on sdb, or whatever the
   other mirror of md2 is.
5) check that all LVs are gone from sda, and remove from volume group
6) pvremove sda
7) add sda to md2 array, and synchronize.

Did I miss anything?

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>