[linux-lvm] shift PV from disk to raid device?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Dec 9 18:38:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> how could I confirm that? pvs? No, it gives me:
>
>   Found duplicate PV cs0HTBNIjwhdDD2fd6wvHTzAN61x8aWD: using /dev/sdb3 not
> /dev/sda3
>   PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
>   /dev/sdb3  dom0 lvm2 a-   456.34G 350.34G

Yes, there is a problem.  (Keep checking and double checking the procedure
before executing.)  You need to know which device, (sda3, sdb3, md2), LVM is
actually writing to.

Here is what I think you did:

1) create md2 from sda3 and sdb3
2) pvcreate md2
3) add sda3 to VG - LVM complains about dup and uses sdb3 instead

If LVM is current actually using sdb3, then you need to remove *sdb3* from md2,
and pvmove the data to md2 (which will now have only sda3).

Let's try again:

0.5) backup
1) remove the partition LVM is writing to (sdb3) from md2 (otherwise all
   writes to md2 will scribble on both),
2) pvremove md2 (which hopefully does *not* contain the device LVM is
   putting your data on) to erase duplicate metadata (or use dd - maybe
   pvremove gets confused with dups)
3) pvcreate md2 and add to VG
4) pvmove data from sdb3 to md2
5) reduce sdb3 from VG