[linux-lvm] FC8: "no Volumegroups found" after Mainboard-Change, Rescueboot:OK

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Dec 15 17:34:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Reinald Gfuellner wrote:

> After changing the mainboard, booting of several preexistent
> FC8-Installations fails: "No volume groups found".
> (kernel can not mount root-filesystem.)
>
> DVD-Rescue-Boot however is OK, volumegroups are found and
> root-filesystem is accessible.

I've run into this several times.  In my cases, the problem has
been a change in disk controller, so that the drivers
in initrd no longer work.  This can usually be fixed by booting
the rescue, mount the root and boot, chroot, and mkinitrd.
You might need to use lsmod to find out which driver is needed
if mkinitrd can't figure it out from the chroot environment.
Use -v to make sure mkinitrd is including the LVM stuff.  If not,
more manual overrides are in order.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>