[linux-lvm] LVM2 robustness w/ large (>100TB) name spaces?

Steve Costaras stevecs at chaven.com
Tue Dec 23 00:15:28 UTC 2008

I have not seen much commentary in my searches concerning LVM under linux
with very large name spaces (single file systems), and figured I would pose
the question out to the forum as I am in the planning stages here to rebuild
and consolidate systems.

Initially I have a couple questions regarding the underlying LVM structure
and what it supports:

- Are PV sizes >=16TB possible?   (I am looking to add external RAID chassis
which will present to the system as large (~13TB (16-drive, raid-6, + hot
spare)) drive.   The subsystem drive will be replaced w/ 2TB or greater
models when they are available in 2010-2011 and am trying to avoid a
forklift upgrade of subsystem components.

- What are the limits on PE/LE's per logical volume (>200,000,000? A
problem?)  (I will be attaching multiple external chassis like above to
several HBA's and will be using LVM striping to increase performance.   So a
small PE size (4MB-8MB) would be best to aid in the distribution of requests
across the physical subsystems.)

- Are there any references or examples of users who have created/run large
(100TB - 1PB) LVM installations that are functional in the real-world?   (I
don't see why this would not work on paper, but theory and practice are two
different things).

Thanks,

Steve