[linux-lvm] Backup of ROOT Partition.

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Tue Jul 1 11:13:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 07:03:26AM -0400, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> If you mean taking a snapshot and leaving it around forever *as* the
> backup, then that will work -- but the more backups you have, the slower
> LVM gets (currently).  This is because of the copy-on-write code: every
> time the root logical volume changes, all of the snapshots need to be
> updated.  If you only have one or two snapshots, this isn't so bad, but
> if you had (say) 20, writing to your real root LV would slow to a crawl.
>
> There is some code hanging around somewhere that I *think* is supposed
> to handle this better, but I don't know the status...

You may be referring to ddsnap, go to
http://code.google.com/p/zumastor/source/browse and look at
svn/trunk/ddsnap. And you can check out and build from google code too
of course.

I find it difficult to tell where this is going though, there doesn't
seem to be disagreement between the people who maintain ddsnap and the
people who maintain lvm2, but I haven't found any statements about what
the way forward is.

Any comments from lvm2 maintainers?

--
Dan Shearer