[linux-lvm] Is it possible to invalidate snapshots other than by overfilling?

Rob West robertfwest at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:50:59 UTC 2008

Jonathan,

Thanks for responding.

I think you're right about why we're getting the message on boot up. We
definitely don't have any dm modules in our initrd.

However, I have verified that just the act of rebooting with a snapshot in
place doesn't cause the snapshot to become invalid.

One thing that I failed to mention before is that so far the cases where
we've seen this problem are also resyncing md mirrors on boot up. I have
verified that the resyncing alone doesn't cause the invalidation. A fellow
engineer is working on replicating the scenario even closer.

Cheers,
Rob