Antw: Re: [linux-lvm] Can't get rid of INACTIVE read/write snapshot

Marcel Gsteiger Marcel.Gsteiger at milprog.ch
Mon Jul 21 08:13:09 UTC 2008

.sorry for the delay, I tried again to lvremove, find the strace enclosed.

After the output "flock(3, LOCK_EX

at the end, lvremove seems to go into an endless loop (100% CPU usage).

Then I tried the following:

kill -9 <pid of lvremove>
rm /var/lock/lvm/V_vg00

to remove /var/lock/lvm/V_vg00 "by hand" and tried again. Now the system does not go to 100% CPU usage anymore, but lvremove does not terminate. See my second lvremove2.strace.

As mentioned before, I simply wanted to get rid of a overflowed snapshot and clean up my volume group, as I should extend the LVM in question. How can I safely accomplish this in my situation?

Thanks for your help and best regards
--Marcel

>>> Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka at redhat.com> 03.06.2008 21:15 >>>
> Hi all
>
> I'm using lvm2-2.01.08-2.1 on fc4, kernel 2.6.16-1 with linux-vserver
> patches.
>
> A while ago, I mistakenly created a 39GB read-write snapshot of my
> /vservers partition (which, btw, seemed to work). But after some time
> this partition got to an overflow and since then I can't get rid of it
> anymore. See the lvdisplay output below.
>
> lvchange -an or --refresh gives me a message "Can't change snapshot
> logical volume "vservers_snapshot"".
>
> lvremove lets me wait, then "top" shows 100% IO-Wait but does not come
> to an end (at least after an hour). I don't know how much patience I
> would need, this box is rather fast otherwise (dual xeon 2.8GHz w/ SATA
> drives).

Hi

It looks like an unknown bug in lvremove. Send a strace of lvremove while
it waits for that long amount of time.

Mikulas