[linux-lvm] Wisdom of multiple disks in one VG

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 22 20:31:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:07 -0700, Larry Dickson wrote:
> Perhaps I'm being unfair, but making valuable stuff depend on md raid1
> scares me. We've had trouble when an event happens (i.e. primary goes
> bad) and have had to do stuff by hand.
I thought raid 1 handled that kind of situation automatically. Am I
under a mistaken impression, or is it just that other things can go
wrong easily?  I know raid 1 and 5 are both vulnerable until the
redundancy is reconstructed.
> For real peace of mind, I would think of a backup strategy involving
> another system; snapshot is nice for that. Perhaps your unused big
> disk could go on that system. Just a practical note.
It won't be unused for long, and since some stuff to backup goes there,
I think I need to put the on-disk backup somewhere else.  Spreading
things out across disks should also speed up the backup, which is
sometimes very slow.
Ross