[linux-lvm] Distributed LVM/filesystem/storage

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Sun Jun 1 00:42:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 31 May 2008, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> GFS (or GFS2 fwiw) imposes a single, shared storage as its backend. At
> least I get that from reading the documentation. This would result in
> merging all the single disks via NBD/LVM to one machine first and
> export that merged volume back via NBD/iSCSI to the nodes. In case the
> actual data is local to a client, it would still be first send to the
> central machine (running LVM) and loaded back from there. Not as
> distributed as I hoped, or are there other configuration possibilities
> to not go that route?

Any possible scheme combining disks over the network is going to
send the data over the network twice.  The solution is simple -
put the low level disk traffic on its own network.  Consider it
a long distance SCSI bus.  If you think about it, normal NFS disk traffic
goes over a "network" twice also.  Once over the ethernet, and again
over the IDE/SCSI/SATA "network".

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>