[linux-lvm] ANNOUNCE: an experimental implementation of snapshot merging

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 15:01:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Steeve McCauley wrote:

> Is this change meant to add cluster support for merging?  I had
> been under the assumption that merging was already a feature of
> snapshots.

My implementation has nothing to do with clustering.

I think there were some userspace programs for off-line merging of
inactive snapshots. My implementation works in kernel and can be used
while the snapshot is mounted.

> What is the difference between the current implementation using
> lvremove (which I assumed was where the COW blocks were merged back
> into the original volume) and lvconvert as below?  Why was this
> functionality not kept in lvremove?

lvremove drops the snapshot and forgets its content. lvconvert -M copies
the snapshot to the origin (I'm now working on to let it automatically
drop the snapshot when the merging finishes).

Mikulas