[linux-lvm] Server hangs when writing to LVM volume due to LVM Snapshots

Veselin Kantsev veselin at campbell-lange.net
Mon Jun 16 14:19:07 UTC 2008

Hello Tomasz,
thank you much for the prompt reply.

The server has 6119216k of RAM in total.
And most of it is shown as used all the time (To my knowledge thats just how
linux utilizes ram).

But from memory, the last time the server froze during copying (goes
back to normal once I kill the copy process) I didn't notice any extreme
RAM usage or swapping.

As I'm rotating LVM snapshots weekly, there are 7 snapshots on the system
at all times, and 1 of them is active(the last one taken).

The script that I use for creating the snapshots, checks the current day
of the week removes last weeks snapshot and creates new one.

So:
On monday, check if snapshot.monday exists, lvremove it and lvcreate new
snapshot.monday.
On tuesday, remove snapshot.tuesday if exists, then create new
snapshot.tuesday.
And so on.

Do you see a flaw in this process that might be causing the issues?

Regards,
Veselin