[linux-lvm] Server hangs when writing to LVM volume due to LVM Snapshots

Veselin Kantsev veselin at campbell-lange.net
Mon Jun 16 15:10:14 UTC 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Here is some more hardware info related to HDDs and RAID card:

Unit  UnitType  Status         %RCmpl  %V/I/M  Stripe  Size(GB)  Cache AVrfy
u0    RAID-1    OK             -       -       -       232.82    ON    OFF
u1    RAID-5    OK             -       -       64K     2095.44   ON    OFF

Port   Status           Unit   Size        Blocks        Serial
p0     OK               u0     232.88 GB   488397168     6RY461CT
p1     OK               u0     232.88 GB   488397168     6RY44PSH
p2     OK               u1     698.63 GB   1465149168    WD-WCAPT0527412
p3     OK               u1     698.63 GB   1465149168    WD-WCAPT0537910
p4     OK               u1     698.63 GB   1465149168    WD-WCAPT0527026
p5     OK               u1     698.63 GB   1465149168    WD-WCAPT0527156
p6     NOT-PRESENT      -      -           -             -
p7     NOT-PRESENT      -      -           -             -

Name  OnlineState  BBUReady  Status    Volt     Temp     Hours LastCapTest
bbu   On           Yes       OK        OK       OK       0     xx-xxx-xxxx

Output from "free":

             total       used       free     shared    buffers cached
Mem:       6119216    5964204     155012          0     393880 2291796
-/+ buffers/cache:    3278528    2840688
Swap:      3903784       1940    3901844

The snapshots are 180GB each.

The current writing process freezes and working with the LV becomes
impossible both locally and through the network.

I've also noticed that any users browsing the LV via samba or
netatalk (the LV is shared on the network) report that the network share
slows down to the point where they cannot browse the folders any more.

Otherwise the system remains operational as it is installed on a
sepparate RAID1.

When the problem occurs, killing the process thats writing to the LV,
helps.

By the way, there is a second server with different specs but using LVM
snapshots in the same fashion and I've managed to reproduce the same
problem.

Regards,
Veselin