[linux-lvm] Server hangs when writing to LVM volume due to LVM Snapshots

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jun 16 20:02:41 UTC 2008

Dan Kegel schrieb:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
>> LVM-2 doesn't scale very well.
>>
>> If you have I/O intensive workloads, I'd discourage using (multiple)
>> snapshots.
>>
>> A single write to the origin mean additional writes to each and every
>> snapshot of that origin.
>
> Right.  This is one of the things zumastor.org snapshots do better;
> all snapshots for a volume share a common snapshot store,
> so performance doesn't fall as you add more snapshots.
> You might want to have a look at it... join the zumastor
> mailing list or drop in on our irc if you have questions.

Speaking of Zumastor - is it equivalent (or just a part of something
bigger) of still discussed, future LVM-3?

There was supposed to be a presentation titled "LVM3 Advanced Volume
Manager for Linux" by Daniel Phillips on LinuxTag 2008 in May[1] - do
you know if it's available anywhere (yet)?

>> Tomasz Chmielewski
>> http://wpkg.org
>
> wpkg.org looks very cool.  I haven't used it much yet,
> but I hope to use it as a kind of automated real world test of
> wine sometime.

Thanks.
For application installation it should work just fine (as it is what it
does), but for some more thorough GUI testing...? Anyway, we're getting
off-topic here ;)

[1]
http://www.linuxtag.org/2008/de/conf/events/vp-mittwoch/vortragsdetails.html?talkid=51

--