[linux-lvm] Restore LVM snapshot without creating a full dumpto an "external" device?

Karl Wagner kwagner at zetex.com
Mon Mar 10 10:43:18 UTC 2008

That is almost exactly what I was after.

Just one thing though... If I was to just take a backup of the COW
device, assuming the underlying origin had not changed, would I just be
able to restore this? (i.e. gzip < /path/to/cowdevice >
/path/to/backupfile.gz and restore with zcat /path/to/backup/file.gz >
/path/to/cowdevice, or similar.) Would this work with a newly created
snapshot? (ie backup as above then lvcreate -s -n newsnapshot
/path/to/origin; zcat /path/to/backup/file.gz > /path/to/new/cow/device)

I will just emphasize that the UNDERLYING ORIGIN WILL NEVER CHANGE, it
is never mounted, never used for anything except as a snapshot origin.