[linux-lvm] Can I create a PV that only uses a portion of a partition?

Marek Podmaka marki at marki-online.net
Tue Mar 11 07:48:02 UTC 2008

Hello,

Monday, March 10, 2008, 18:45:15, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> o Use md raid1 mirroring with smaller (20-30G) pieces that need syncing.
>   Very important on systems where md driver can't remember its sync
>   status between reboots.

I didn't have md failure on recent kernels... now the reboot while
syncing is possible? On older kernels it just started from the
beginning.

But this approach has a performance penalty - from the md raid1 kernel
sources it seems that it does try to optimize reads (choose from which
of the mirrored drive to read block), but it does not work with multiple
md devices on the same disks (each md has its own information about
the current position of drive heads and doesn't know that the md is
also "using" the same drives).

--
  bYE, Marki