[linux-lvm] how to recover lvm after OS re-install

lemon lemon sse450 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 15:13:37 UTC 2008

Hello,

I had to re-install my OS from scratch after a software problem (perl).

Now struggling to recover the logical volume I had before the server crash. It is full of files, data etc. OS was not (and is not) on that hard disk. That is a separate data partition (actually a hard raid array). There is no any hard disk failure. And, I didn't formatted this disk during re-install OS. So, I think, the data should be there untouched.

What I did:
#pvcreate /dev/sdc
#vgcreate -s 32M raid_vg0 /dev/sdc (I used the same PE size as before)
#lvcreate -l 23839 -n raid_lv0 raid_vg0 (maximum extents from vgdisplay)

Unfortunately, it complains when mounting raid_lv0:
#mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Obviously, if I format it, there will be no problem in mounting, but will lose all the data on it.

Is there a way to mount this lv without losing data? Or, should I forget about all the data on that disk?

Please help!

Best wishes,
Mufit

Some info:
[root at server dev]# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdc
  VG Name               raid_vg0
  PV Size               745.00 GB / not usable 32.00 MB
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              23839
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          23839
  PV UUID               2Xd3p7-KlaX-SIbW-vCKH-uJ73-Ldeh-QG0P9r

[root at server dev]# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               raid_vg0
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  2
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               744.97 GB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              23839
  Alloc PE / Size       23839 / 744.97 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               MUz02m-JWYb-f2gP-8PBc-0y2I-a1y8-sZfrOx

[root at server dev]# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0
  VG Name                raid_vg0
  LV UUID                2yoy12-qASz-qdmy-AcB4-iaG3-XGN8-mwv9VS
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                744.97 GB