[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu May 1 23:50:35 UTC 2008

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
>> It's up to your initrd and/or initscripts whether or
>> not and how to use those facilities.
>>

> Alasdair,
>  Is it possible to define an init script that would run early enough
> (before LVM tries to activate the volumes) so that I could vgreduce
> the old snapshot?
>  Or does this require a new initrd?

I started looking at this and then found that Fedora appears to have the
device mapper and snapshot support as modules:

/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6xen/kernel/drivers/md/dm-snapshot.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6xen/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko

So what is going to happen if you have a snapshot of root partition
active and then a reboot happens (sound familiar?).  The kernel on
restart can no longer read device mapper or snapshot module or root
partition and it will panic and who knows what else will happen.
Corruption maybe???

Gerry