[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri May 2 02:03:26 UTC 2008

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> ZZZZOn Thu, 1 May 2008, Charles Marcus wrote:
>

>> In Gerry's scenario here, if the snapshot volume had NOT been on a ram
>> disk, would he have had the problem he had or not?
>>

> Here is the snip from Fedora/RHEL for activating the VG containing
> the root filesystem (note: kernel modules and lvm command are contained in
> initrd filesystem, and do not depend on /lib/modules/...):

> echo "Loading dm-mod.ko module"
> insmod /lib/dm-mod.ko
> echo "Loading dm-mirror.ko module"
> insmod /lib/dm-mirror.ko
> echo "Loading dm-zero.ko module"
> insmod /lib/dm-zero.ko
> echo "Loading dm-snapshot.ko module"
> insmod /lib/dm-snapshot.ko
> echo Making device-mapper control node
> mkdmnod
> mkblkdevs
> echo Scanning logical volumes
> lvm vgscan --ignorelockingfailure

So right ^^^here^^^ is where we need to test if old snapshot was
read-only or read-write (how to do that? grep vgdisplay -v for some value?)
So maybe something like this?:

set removemissing flag false
if old snapshot is the only PV missing:
--if old snapshot was read-write:
------stop boot sequence
------show user some info about old snapshot
------prompt whether to remove the old snapshot from the VG so it can be
activated
------if response yes:
----------set removemissing flag true
------else
----------alert user that manual action is required to correct problem
related to old snapshot before VG can be activated
----------abort boot
--elsif old snapshot was read-only:
------set removemissing flag true
if removemissing flag true: