[linux-lvm] lvm partition on ramdisk

Karl Wagner kwagner at zetex.com
Tue May 13 08:00:30 UTC 2008

If this is what you are looking to do, there are two more approaches you
could consider. I have used both to varying degrees of success.

The first is to just keep the first part of the disk in cache. Ie. Set
up the device as you want, then run the following either as a cron job
or inside a 'while true' loop in the background:
	cat /dev/yourdevice | dd bs=1048576 count=$N of=/dev/null
(replacing $N with the number of MB you want from the beginning of the
drive to remain in the block device cache)
This will simply periodicaly read $N MB from the beginning of your
device, which keeps it in the buffer. I did this on a drive exported
over ATA-over-ethernet to my windows machine as it's boot drive, and had
sub-millisecond access times, very fast boot and app loading times...
Although I was keeping the entire C: drive (6GB) in the buffer on my
home server with 8GB ram :)

The second way I have used (and replaced with the above for simplicity)
is to set up an mdraid1 between the ramdisk and an equally sized
partition, using the write-mostly and write-behind options, then use
dmsetup (or LVM, I went for the direct approach) to concatenate it with
the rest of the disk.

My first way works brilliantly for me, as it is so simple yet so safe. I
have even had a power cut in the past and no data was lost (although of
course it forced windows to do checkdisk on boot, but it would have
anyway).

Hope this is helpful
Mouse