[linux-lvm] lvm partition on ramdisk

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Mon May 19 14:37:13 UTC 2008

Final results FYI in this investigation: A recent Ubuntu release gets past
the 1TB limit. I found binaries for dosfstools_2.11-2.1ubuntu3 at

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/otherosfs/dosfstools

and unpacked them with ar -x. The source is in

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dosfstools/2.11-2.1ubuntu3

With 4KB sectors, it defaults to 128KB clusters and reaches over 97% write
speed on an 8TB volume. The ramdisk area needed is a little over 512MB, so
if you use 768MB you get quite a bit of room for directories also on
ramdisk, and with a little finesse you can even make the subdirectories lay
themselves down on ramdisk. To be "Windows-legal" you could use 32KB
clusters and a little over 2GB ramdisk (or a little over 1GB with one FAT).
Linux is happy with the big clusters, and according to the design should
actually be willing to go to 16TB.

Larry