[linux-lvm] LVM Mirror question

Scot Kreienkamp SKreien at la-z-boy.com
Wed Nov 5 22:06:05 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone...

I have a difficult LVM question that I'm wrestling with.  Hopefully
someone can help.

I have two hosts with 50 gigs of local RAID5 storage.  (I am using only
local storage due to performance problems with our SAN, so shared
storage is out of the picture.)  I have that divided into three LVM
partitions on each host, 5 gigs for /, 5 gigs for swap, and 40 gigs
mounted on /var/lib/pgsql.  I need to do a real-time mirror of
/var/lib/pgsql (LogVol02) to the second host.  I was trying to use LVM
to do that via Network Block Device.  So on host2 I exported LogVol02
via NBD, and imported it into host1.  I then added that to VolGroup00
and used lvconvert to establish the mirror.  That all worked great.  The
problem is that I don't know how to reverse that process then and mount
LogVol02 in host2 without destroying the partition, with or without NBD;
the second host doesn't have any information on the LVM partition so it
wouldn't know how to do anything with it.  That's where I'm stuck.

Basically what I'm after is I need to do a real-time mirror of the
postgres database volume to a second host for recovery in case of an
emergency.  If there's a way I can use LVM to do this, or if someone can
suggest a better way, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Scot Kreienkamp

La-Z-Boy Inc.