[linux-lvm] reading lun snapshots with identical lvm informationon them on one machine

James A. Dinkel jdinkel at bucoks.com
Fri Nov 7 20:17:00 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Alasdair G Kergon
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:31 PM

Making sure you know which are original and which are snapshot, run
pvchange -u
on the snapshot ones, then vgchange -u and vgrename.

Use a filter in lvm.conf (env var LVM_SYSTEM_DIR to use different one if
this is
an automated process, not a one-off) or with --config on each command so
only
the snapshot devices are visible.

Alasdair

I made a copy of /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to /tmp-lvm.conf, changed the filter
line to this:

Filter = [ "a|/dev/sdf|", "a|/dev/sdg|", "a|/dev/sdh|", "a|/dev/sdi|",

(sdf, sdg, sdh, and sdi are all snapshot devices of the vg)

And then I ran "sudo /usr/sbin/pvchange --config /tmp-lvm.conf -u
/dev/sdf1" but I get this error:

  Parse error at byte 14 (line 1): unexpected token
  Failed to set overridden configuration entries.
  Run `pvchange --help' for more information.

Am I maybe using the --config option wrong?

James