[linux-lvm] LVM without LVMtools

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 10:19:15 UTC 2008

Dmitry Mishin wrote:
> Where I can know about co-operation LVM tools and kernels?
>
> Whether it is possible to activate LVs (lvchange -a y) without a package LVM?

The tools read and interpret metadata stored on the physical devices, or
in the file system. They use this data to instruct the kernel
device-mapper to create mapped devices that correspond to the volumes
described in the metadata using the device-mapper ioctl interface (via
libdevmapper).

See Alasdair's talks for more information on how all the pieces fit
together:

http://people.redhat.com/agk/talks/

Regards,
Bryn.