[linux-lvm] Editing LVM 2 metadata

Michael Jensen beachhangar at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 03:30:49 UTC 2008

The why is because I am attempting to use storage managed snapshots.  The storage can present the master volume and the snapshot as separate LUN's but they present identical contents in the header area (first 256 sectors...). So the effort is to modify the snapshot (doable with this storage) without altering the contents of the master volume.  Hopefully the snapshot with suitable edits to the UUID's would then pass vgscan test.

I am checking the tools now.  One question - do the UUID's employ any sort of hash or check-character scheme to ensure that they haven't been bit-picked or otherwise compromised by the storage??

Thanks,
Mike